Forty-two shots. Two crossbars. One penalty shot.
And for all that, the Bruins limped away with yet another loss. They are now winless in their last eight games.
“How many chances did we get? I don’t remember the last game we had with that many chances,” David Krejci said. “We just couldn’t bury it. So this is really bad. It is very frustrating the way the game went today. It was a tough one.”
- Matt Hunwick admitted that he should have dumped the puck off the glass instead of throwing a blind reverse in the third period. Alexander Semin picked off the pass and set up Brooks Laich for the game-winning goal.
- Krejci, Blake Wheeler, and Michael Ryder combined for 15 shots.
- The Bruins will practice at the Belmont Hill School tomorrow instead of at Ristuccia Arena. Practice will be closed to the public.
STICK SALUTE: Krejci. One of his best games of the year.
SIN BIN: Hunwick. Careless with the puck all game.
All done at the Garden. Capitals, 4-1.
18:20 (3). Timeout Bruins. Tim Thomas out of the net.
16:30 (3). Marco Sturm hits the crossbar with a slapper.
15:47 (3). David Krejci and Blake Wheeler collide in the offensive zone.
11:43 (3). Jose Theodore stops Marc Savard’s slapper. Hard to see two or more pucks beating Theodore the rest of the night.
7:51 (3). Capitals, 3-1. Tom Poti floats through the neutral zone with no resistance, then finds Boyd Gordon in the slot.
6:35 (3). Great back-and-forth between Alex Ovechkin and Johnny Boychuk. Rocking on both sides.
5:04 (3). Capitals, 2-1. Brooks Laich goes five-hole on Tim Thomas. Capitals gain control after Matt Hunwick reverses the puck to nobody.
4:43 (3). Tim Thomas stuffs Brooks Laich after another Matt Hunwick turnover.
1:15 (3). Holding on Alex Ovechkin.
0:49 (3). Jose Theodore stuffs Milan Lucic in front.
After 60 minutes, tied at 1-1. Bruins with a 29-17 shot advantage.
- Jose Theodore is keeping his team in this game. Theodore has been outstanding, foiling the Bruins on multiple Grade-A chances. Bruins sagged a bit early in the second, but came back strong later in the period.
- We’ll see whether Marco Sturm can return for the third. If he does, it’s a good bet he’ll be wearing a shield to protect his forehead.
- Bruins haven’t given Alex Ovechkin many opportunities to create his magic.
16:41 (2). A bloody Marco Sturm goes off. Big cut on Sturm’s forehead.
16:12 (2). Patrice Bergeron strikes iron.
15:25 (2). Jose Theodore with the diving save on David Krejci. Alexander Semin off for holding.
13:12 (2). Puck into the netting. Bruins survive the PP.
11:13 (2). Tim Thomas kicks out Brendan Morrison’s one-timer.
11:09 (2). Patrice Bergeron off for hooking. Two-man advantage for 16 seconds.
10:34 (2). Penalty shot for David Krejci, who gets held up by Mike Knuble. Krejci goes wide right.
9:24 (2). Marco Sturm with an offensive-zone holding penalty.
5:58 (2). Jose Theodore kicks out Michael Ryder’s close-range shot.
3:25 (2). Michael Ryder off for hooking.
2:38 (2). Michael Ryder is stoned on a point-blank shot.
2:04 (2). Tied, 1-1. Tom Poti goes down the left wing and sets up Mike Knuble for a goamouth tip. Dirty goal for Knuble, as usual, grinding to the net. Bruins haven’t arrived this period.
1:00 (2). Tim Thomas robs Tom Poti after the Bruins cough up the puck.
After 20 minutes, Bruins with a 1-0 lead. Bruins with a 13-5 shot advantage.
- Best period by the Bruins all month. So what do you do against the league’s best offense? Don’t give them the puck. Lots of good cycling down low and efficient use of the point men by the Boston forwards. Loads of puck pos
session, with Washington forced to go with quick counterattacks for its chances.
- Now that was the David Krejci the Bruins have been expecting to see all season. Krejci’s playing with swagger and attitude through the first period. Much more confident than usual.
- Probably no coincidence, but with Krejci playing better, Michael Ryder has also played with some hops. An active, physical Ryder is hard to play against.
19:43 (1). Jose Theodore gloves a Johnny Boychuk blast.
19:03 (1). After a Matt Hunwick cough-up, Tim Thomas dives to cover a loose puck. Hunwick’s been jumpy with the puck so far.
16:25 (1). Blake Wheeler all alone in front, but Jose Theodore sprawls to make the stop. Sharp feed by David Krejci.
12:48 (1). Jose Theodore slams the door on Marco Sturm.
12:02 (1). Michael Ryder, sprinting hard to the net, draws a hooking call on Alexander Semin. Ryder’s got good legs tonight.
10:30 (1). Tim Thomas comes way out to poke check the puck off Jason Chimera’s stick.
6:58 (1). Bruins, 1-0. Marc Savard with the cross-crease pass through Tom Poti to David Krejci. The center tucks a forehander through Thedore’s pads for the five-on-three goal.
5:30 (1). Second PP coming up. Matt Bradley off for tripping.
4:00 (1). Brian Pothier busts up a two-on-one shorthanded rush.
2:16 (1). Blake Wheeler off for interference.
1:03 (1). Holding on Nicklas Backstrom. Looks like they’ll be calling things tight tonight.
0:00 (1). Dennis Wideman and Matt Hunwick lining up against Alexander Semin and friends. As always, expect Zdeno Chara to match up against Alex Ovechkin all night.
Shawn Thornton is back in. Byron Bitz and Vladimir Sobotka are out. Washington will be without Mike Green, Karl Alzner, and Quintin Laing.