Final, Bruins beat Sabres, 3-2, in overtime

By Barbara Matson

Turns out it was Mark Recchi with the winner, tipping Seidenberg’s power-play slapshot past Sabres goalie Ryan Miller to give the Bruins a 3-2 victory in overtime. The goal was officially logged at 3:02, but was scored almost a minute earlier. The goal was waved off on the ice and play continued. When a whistle finally halted play, a review showed the puck clearly inside the net and the Bruins claimed the victory and the 2 points. The scoring was officially changed after the game.

Seidenberg slapper seems to be a winning goal, but waved off and play continues. When Bruins finally get chance to ask for replay, it clearly show shows puck in back of net and Bruins win, 3-2. Goal counted at 3:02.


Adam takes a double minor penalty for high stick on Marc Savard at 1:46, and Bruins get big power play chance.
Derek Roy left alone in front of Thomas, with enough time to stick handle a bit fore taking shot. Thomas pokes the puck away with both his stick and his pad.

Headed to overtime after 2-2 tie in regulation.
Bruins swarming Miller in 30 seconds, with Lucic one-timing a pass from Gregory Campbell that was deflected wide of the net, picking up the loose puck and firing again, only to have that shot blocked by Mike Grier.

Thomas forced to make difficult stops on Vanek and Cody McCormick in the final minute of regulation. Buffalo takes timeout with 38 seconds left.
Horton and Chara both have their shots blocked, then Bergeron rips one and Miller makes the stop and holds on.
Bruins, 0 for 2 on the power play, get another chance when Steven Montador is called or hooking at 15:12. First chance goes to Lucic, who fires a shot over the net.

Nathan Horton ties the game at two at 13:39 of the third period, stealing a sloppy pass from Buffalo defenseman Mike Weber and rifling a shot past Miller.
The unassisted goal is Horton’s 10th of the season.


Vanek rings a shot off the left post the 11-minute mark with enough force to shake the cage.
As the third period nears its halfway point, Miller stuffs Lucic on a great wraparound chance. Meanwhile, the Sabres have taken a 26-22 lead in shots.

Bruins bottled up in their own zone for the first 1:20 of the third period.
Thomas Vanek sends the Sabres ahead, 2-1, at 4:07 of the third on a flukey goal, shot from behind the goal line. Vanek crashed the net to field a pass from Tyler Myers and when the puck went past the right post, Vanek chased it down and took a swipe toward the net. The puck hit Thomas in the back as he backed up to hug the post, and dropped behind him into the net. Goal No. 11 of the season for Vanek.

After two periods, the Bruins have outshot the Sabres, 18-15.
Still no word on Stuart injury from the Bruins, beyond “it happened in the first.”

Before the national anthem, the Bruins offered a moment of silence in honor of a fallen soldier: First Lieutenant Scott Milley, a 2005 graduate of Lincoln-Sudbury High and captain of the hockey team, a 2009 UNH graduate, who was killed in Afghanistan last week.

Game under way.

Tim Thomas makes the first save of the game, smothering a left-circle shot by Andrej Sekera in the second minute of the game.
Brad Marchand tries to set up Gregory Campbell at the other end, sweeping a pass across the goal mouth from the right corner, but Campbell couldn’t connect from the left side.


Michael Ryder shoots wide left on a nice feed from Tyler Seguin.
After 6:11 of the first, Sabres have three shots on goals, Bruins have none.

Buffalo’s Tyler Ennis tries to sneak the puck past Thomas in a scramble by the right post, but in a move straight off the yoga mat, Thomas twisted through his midsection as he moved right to left, getting his left skate to the post to block the puck.

1-0, Bruins, at 13:21 — Milan Lucic takes feed from David Krejci at right circle and shoots as he’s turning toward the net. The puck squirts between Ryan Miller’s left skate and the right post. It’s Lucic’s team-leading 13th goal of the season.
The goal ends a career-high shutout streak for Buffalo’s resurgent goalie Ryan Miller at 161:35.

Bruin Johnny Boychuk and Sabre Steve Montador, once a Bruin, go toe-to-toe at 14:04. Both players get 5 minute fighting penalties but Montador also is called for roughing and the B’s get their first power play opportunity. Good pace, including a couple of chances for Andrew Ference, but no goals.

Defenseman Mark Stuart suffered an unknown injury in the first period and did not return for the second. The Bruins said he will not return to the game.
Bruins created a string of good scoring chances in the first half of the second, but could not connect.
Just 50 seconds in, Lucic had an open shot for a one-timer on the left side on a pass from Krejci, but shanked his shot outside the post. Mark Recchi fired a shot from the slot and Patrice Bergeron tried a couple of times to knock down the rebound, but couldn’t.

Then with the Sabres on the power play, the Bruins got a pair of shorthanded opportunities, Blake Wheeler setting up Krejci with a cross-zone pass. Krejci couldn’t settle the puck for a good shot. Shawn Thornton also had a breakaway chance, but Miller made a pad save on his straight-on shot. Wheeler, skating down the right side, whistled a difficult shot at the halfway point of the period but Miller made a stick save.

1-1. The Sabres tied the game at 12:57 on Luke Adam’s first NHL goal. With Buffalo swarming the Bruin net, Thomas stoned Jason Pominville, but Adam followed up and finally knocked in his own rebound.

Boston had its second power-play opportunity of the game when Derek Roy was called for hooking at 15:32, but the B’s had difficulty getting set up. Only one challenging shot — Zdeno’s Chara’s crack from the left point — but although both Ryder and Recchi tried to jump on the rebound, the Sabre defense got to the puck first and cleared it out of the zone.

Loading Comments...