On the eve of free agency, the Celtics announced Sunday that they’ve waived guard/forward Terrence Williams.
The timing of the move was no accident: the 26-year-old Williams was guaranteed $200,000 from the Celtics if they hadn’t waived him on or by midnight Sunday. By cutting him, the Celtics create some cap space — Williams would’ve been owed about $950,000 had he not been waived on or by Oct. 31 — while also opening up a roster spot.
The 6-foot-6 Williams joined the injury-ravaged Celtics, his fourth NBA team since being drafted in 2009, in February after playing overseas in China, and he was seen as a back-up point guard who could help fill in with Rajon Rondo out for the season with a knee injury.
Williams played sparingly in 24 games, averaging 4.6 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 13.3 minutes per game. Williams also played in five playoff games with the Celtics, averaging 1.0 points, 2.0 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 9.6 minutes per game.
Williams was signed to a deal through the end of the last season, but his contract for next season wasn’t fully guaranteed.
It certainly didn’t help matters that Williams was arrested in May in Kent, Wash., after the mother of his 10-year-old son said Williams threatened her with a gun.
Williams was being investigated for second-degree domestic assault, but prosecutors decided to delay bringing charges against him as they continued to investigate the incident, which occurred in a parking lot during a custody exchange between Williams and the woman.
Last week, King County prosecutor’s office spokesman Dan Donohoe said that the case was still being investigated and that there was no timetable for a possible resolution.
If convicted, Williams, who turned 26 Friday, faces possible jail time.