WALTHAM — Rajon Rondo is going through a full practice with his Celtic teammates Monday afternoon as he takes another positive step in his recovery from a fractured left hand last month.
The point guard came out of his first full-contact practice Friday largely unscathed, which has led to optimism that the Celtics’ captain could be ready to return on opening night Wednesday.
“I felt fine,” Rondo said when asked about how he felt on the practice court. “I didn’t favor [the hand] I don’t think. It got bent back a little bit, but other than that, it was fine.”
When asked to weigh his chances of returning to the floor Wednesday night to face off against Kevin Garnett and the Brooklyn Nets, Rondo seemed hopeful.
“Probably 79 [percent] right now,” Rondo said. “It’s pretty high. I feel good, but [taking] contact is a completely different thing.”
Brad Stevens noted Rondo still has to get through two more practices pain-free to get full clearance from team doctors, but the head coach remains optimistic as well.
“He’ll go full again and I think he’s going to see the doctors tomorrow, maybe Wednesday morning,” Stevens said. “It’s going to be about how he feels. If he goes through the next couple days without pain, and he feels really good and the doctors give him clearance, then he’ll be good to go, but there are a lot of if’s in there.
“I’d still say he’s somewhere in the realm of questionable, but all signs have been moving forward [so far].”
The Celtics projected Rondo would miss 6 to 8 weeks of action following the hand surgery. If 28-year-old is able to play in the opener, he will return to game action just under five weeks since having the procedure.