The following information provided by the Globe’s Gordon Edes and Amalie Benjamin, and the Associated Press:
The Red Sox avoided an arbitration hearing with outfielder Wily Mo Pena today by agreeing to a one-year deal worth $1.875 million.
The Sox had initially offered $1.725 million; Peña was asking for $2.2 million. A hearing had been scheduled for today.
Pena hit .301 with 11 homers and 42 RBI for the Sox last year while playing in 84 games. He was sidelined some with a wrist injury.
“We certainly weren’t afraid to go” to the hearing, general manager Theo Epstein said, but “both sides are satisfied.”
The Red Sox have not had an arbitration hearing since Epstein took over as general manager in 2003.
Pena, obtained from Cincinnati for pitcher Bronson Arroyo last March 20, is the fourth outfielder on Boston but can play all three positions.
“There are plenty of plate appearances” for an extra outfielder that can play all the spots, Epstein said, “and Wily Mo is going to scoop all those up.”