FORT MYERS, Fla. – Here are a few morning things from The Fort:
1. Kevin Cash graciously accepted his new backup role, addressing the issue this morning.
“I was very happy but at the same time, it’s a rough day for everybody because of the relationships Doug has with a lot of these players on this team. he’s very well liked and very well respected. That goes from my standpoint too. At the same time it is a business so it’s a career opportunity for me.”
Cash said he “had an agreement” with the Red Sox at the start of camp. “They said come into camp and see where it goes from there. They’ve been up front and honest with me. No promises or no guarantees or anything, but they told me you will have opportunities.”
Cash was faced with the possibility of being used at Double-A because the Sox wanted Dusty Brown and George Kottaras at Triple-A.
2. Not a lot of Doug Mirabelli talk. Jason Varitek didn’t want to discuss it this morning.
3. Coco Crisp had to run to the trainers room, but he reported he’s making progress on his sore groin.
4. Kidded Theo Epstein yesterday on whether the press conference he held on Mirabelli was the first he’s ever called to discuss the release of a back-up catcher. It was.
5. Manny Ramirez wasted no time: he changed his locker to Mirabelli’s, which is in the far corner near the clubhouse office. The locker is more spacious to handle catching gear.
6. The lineup vs. the Orioles: