The Red Sox released struggling righthander Brad Penny following last night’s 3-2 victory over the White Sox, clearing a roster spot for recently acquired reliever Billy Wagner, who is set to join the team.
Brad Penny. (John Tlumacki / Globe Staff)
The news of Penny’s release was first reported by the Boston Herald. Penny confirmed his departure to the newspaper, saying, “I asked for my release and I got it.” The Red Sox later confirmed it as well.
Penny, who was removed from the rotation to make room for returning starter Tim Wakefield, won just one of his final 11 starts for the Red Sox, finishing with a 7-8 record and a 5.61 ERA.
He will be placed on release waivers today and will clear them Monday, giving him the chance to sign with a new club before playoff rosters must be set. He told the Herald he hopes to join a contending team by Aug. 31 so he can pitch in the postseason, preferably as a starter, and thanked the Red Sox for the courtesy of letting him go now.
“I enjoyed playing with all of the guys,” Penny told the Herald. “I played for a great manager on a great team. I had a great time. I enjoyed it. I wish things had worked out better, but that happens.”
According to ESPN.com, at least three NL contending teams — the Rockies, Giants, and Marlins — are interested in Penny.
Penny signed a one-year, $5 million contract with the Red Sox in January. He had just one win since June 18, and in his final appearance for the Red Sox, he allowed eight runs in four innings of Friday’s 20-11 loss to the Yankees.
“I had some bad breaks and made some bad pitches,” he told the Herald. “But I’m healthy, and that’s what I’m happy about. This isn’t last year, when I was hurt. If that had been the case, I’d be upset.
“All in all I had a great time here. My shoulder is healthy and I’m glad I came here. It was a blessing.”
Last updated at 3:58 p.m.