The Red Sox announced some roster moves after the game. LHP Felix Doubront and catcher Mark Wagner were optioned to Class AAA Pawtucket and infielder Gil Velazquez was reassigned to the minor league camp. The Sox now have 43 players in camp.
Meanwhile, Doubront will still start against Toronto tomorrow in Dunedin with Wagner catching him.
* Tim Wakefield threw 25 more pitches in the bullpen after his five shutout innings, giving him 90 on the day. He said he feels ready to start the season. Terry Francona said that’s nice, but spring training goes as long as it does for a reason. “You get into the season and you have a 30-pitch inning … there’s a reason you go out and get stronger,” he said. “But he said he felt good, which I believe.”
* Manny Delcarmen is the latest guy not to feel too well. “He was getting a little dizzy out there,” Francona said.
* Jacoby Ellsbury was 0 for 3 in his return from a stay on the sick list. “I don’t feel 100 percent but I’m getting there,” he said.
* Francona liked what he saw from Orioles starter Chris Tillman. “Good, real good,” he said. “They made some moves a couple of years ago. The young kids weren’t ready to show it at the big-league level but now, unfortunately, some of those kids are starting to mature and we’re going to see them in the big leagues. They have a chance to be pretty good.”
* Alan Embree will throw at least one more bullpen before he gets in a game. He checked out fine medically. “We don’t need to rush this, that would be a mistake,” Francona said. “He wants to get in a game yesterday and I think we’ll try to slow that down just a little bit. We talked to him. We’d like to be in this for the long haul, now three days from now.”
* Here are the pitching plans for the next few days:
Sunday against Houston: Lester, Papelbon, Okajima, the original Ramirez, Bard.
Sunday at Toronto: Doubront
Monday against Tampa Bay: Bonser, Atchison, Tazawa, Shouse, Nelson
Monday at St. Louis: Bowden, Castro, the other Ramirez, Cabrera.
* Those traveling to Dunedin tomorrow include Adrian Beltre, Bill Hall, J.D. Drew, Josh Reddick and Jose Iglesias, who will rejoin the team for a day from the minor-league camp.
* If you have tickets for the rescheduled Red Sox-Cardinals game in Jupiter on Monday, here are the notable players who will be on the trip: Jeremy Hermida, Josh Reddick, Tug Hulett, Dusty Brown and Aaron Bates. Because the game was scheduled and there’s another game at home the same day, the Red Sox are not obligated to bring the usual four regulars.
* Daisuke Matsuzaka will throw two innings at the minor-league camp tomorrow at 11 a.m.