A few postgame notes for quotes for you before the flight home:
* Terry Francona said he thought about having Bill Hall run for Jason Varitek in the eighth inning but didn’t want to take Varitek out of the game. “The way the game was going, I wanted to leave Tek catching,” he said.
* Francona supported third base coach Tim Bogar’s decision to send Varitek, saying in that situation the Sox needed to play for a bad throw. “I would have sent [Varitek], too,” Francona said.
Not exactly a ringing vote of confidence for J.D. Drew, who was on deck.
* Varitek said he got a good jump, turned third base well and ran as hard as he could. He just didn’t have enough to score. He couldn’t have run the catcher over because he was out of gas.
* Kevin Youkilis says he’ll play Monday. Francona says Youkilis will get checked out by the team doctor before the decision is made.
* Mike Cameron said he is hopeful of starting a brief rehab assignment within a week. Jacoby Ellsbury is not hopeful of that. “I don’t want to put a timetable on it,” he said. “I have broken bones and they need to heal.” It certainly sounds like Cameron will be back first, which is not what was expected when they were both put on the disabled list April 20.
* The Red Sox have lost four straight to Baltimore, the first time that’s happened since 2004.
Thanks to everybody for reading this weekend. Check back tomorrow for more as the Angels arrive at Fenway Park to start a 10-game homestand.