The surprise of the day is that Victor Martinez (2 for his last 28) dropped out of the No. 3 spot in the lineup but only to No. 5. Terry Francona’s reasoning was that the Red Sox need more “balance” and he wants to keep J.D. Drew and David Ortiz separated.
As for the rehab guys:
* After days of positive news about Mike Cameron, the word now is that his lower abdomen is tender and that he won’t be joining the team here. In fact, it sounds like he will play for Portland on Wednesday.
“There was certainly some thought about bringing him here today,” Francona said. “Possibly even getting on our roster and maybe waiting for tomorrow. I don’t think we think he’s quite ready. He agreed with that. He’s tender a little bit in his abdominal region. Not where he got hurt, just tender. He’s done a lot of work and I think we just want to make sure when we bring him off he’s ready to play. Putting our heads together, including Cam, we’re not quite there yet.”
* Jacoby Ellsbury told he Sox he was a little “tentative” in his first two at-bats today before cutting it loose. He slid into the plate the last time he was up. Sounds like a positive day for him. He’ll play in the outfield tomorrow in Portland then a d
As for the Yankees …
* Jorge Posada is day-to-day after fouling a ball off his right foot on Sunday.
* Nick Johnson will have surgery on his right wrist tomorrow. Realistically, he’s out through the All-Star break. Given his history with that wrist, it will likely be longer.
* Chan-Ho Park was activated and Ivan Nova was optioned back to Class AAA Scranton.