A few basics:
* Jacoby Ellsbury is here and will be activated tomorrow. “Unless there’s a problem on the bus tonight on the way home he’ll be all set to go,” Terry Francona said.
* Marco Scutaro is apparently fine.
* Angel Sanchez will live at least another day. With Jon Lester going nine last night and Clay Buchholz eight on Wednesday, the bullpen is plenty rested and the Sox decided they would rather have the extra infielder instead of the extra pitcher.
* Francona said he would like to get David Ortiz at least one start this weekend. But there are no plans to play Kevin Youkilis at third base, this weekend or beyond.
* Mike Cameron will play CF for Portland tonight then, once again, be re-evaluated.
* Josh Beckett did some throwing about 90 minutes ago and looked pretty fluid. The hope is he’ll able to throw a few side sessions before he is activated off the disabled list. “He’ll kind of ramp back up throwing,” Francona said. “When he’s ready for a side, we’ll do that and take it from there.”
* Francona on not having the DH this weekend: “Lackey didn’t seem real arrogant about his hitting. We built our team to have a DH and we don’t have it. I can’t see it as an advantage. We’ll either handle it or we won’t. The schedule is what it is. In the past there’s been times we’ve handled it real well and there’s been times it seems like we haven’t.”