Jonathan Papelbon will not rejoin the team until Friday in Boston at the earliest. The bereavement/family illness leaves are 3-7 days.
In other news …
* Jacoby Ellsbury was seen by Dr. Lewis Yocum today. As of 4 p.m., Terry Francona had not received a report.
* Mike Cameron is out of the lineup with the righthander pitching. As Francona said, they’ll take any opportunity to rest him until he’s back up to speed.
* Jeremy Hermida isn’t 100 percent but said he feels good enough to play.
* Manny Delcarmen threw a side session today and should be available tomorrow.
* Daisuke Matsuzaka was supposed to throw a side session today but started throwing up. So he was sent back to the hotel and will try it again tomorrow. The hope is he ate something that disagreed with him and it’s not the flu.
The back-and-forth between Francona and the Japanese reporters was amusing. “What’s Japanese for puke?” the manager said.
* Terry Francona was asked about Mike Lowell’s lack of playing time. His answer was that the third baseman is hitting, the first baseman is hitting and the DH is coming off one of the months of his life. “The object is to win,” he said.
* Ah, kids. Victor Martinez Jr., who is five, was on the couch in the clubhouse watching Disney Channel with 23-year-old Josh Reddick. The adventures of Hannah Montana had them enthralled as they munched on chips.
Here’s a shot of Little Vic on the field yesterday: