A few notes before you head out for the weekend:
• Via text message, Dan Wheeler reports he has no news yet in his discussions with the Red Sox. The Sox appear to want Wheeler on a one-year deal, something the Rhode Island native might be agreeable to. He was both effective and durable for Tampa Bay and could give the Sox another upgrade from last season.
• Jon Paul Morosi of Fox reports that when the Red Sox put OF Jordan Parraz on waivers (presumably to clear a spot on the 40-man roster), the Yankees claimed him. The Sox had claimed Parraz off waivers from the Royals.
So the Royals can’t use a guy and the Sox and Yankees can? Somebody will have to explain that one.
• Bill Hall has agreed to terms on a one-year deal with the Astros. Here’s wishing him well. Hall was a popular teammate and always accommodating to the media, which we appreciated. He also hit 18 home runs and played every position but catcher and first base.
• The Angels have made a “significant” offer to Adrian Beltre according to the LA Times. They’re also denying having made an offer to Carl Crawford, which is amusing as it was their deadline to accept an offer that helped propel him to the Sox.
• The folks at the DRaysBay blog got together and bought a full-page ad in the Tampa Bay Times to thank Carl Crawford for his time with the Rays. How cool is that?
It said: “The Tampa Bay franchise has undergone a lot of change in the past nine years: new name, new uniforms, new managers, and new ownership. The one constant in all of that change has been Carl Crawford.
Our franchise leader in hits, batting average, stolen bases, doubles, triples, runs scored, breath-taking defensive plays, and more, Crawford has become one of Tampa Bay’s most beloved sports figures It’s rare for any player to spend nine years of their career in one city, let alone the best left fielder in all of baseball.
The team is still strong and will stay competitive, but we should consider ourselves lucky to have seen Crawford play. Good luck in the rest of your career, Carl – you’ve earned it.”
Kudos to those fans. I can’t remember this happening before.
As for me, I am on vacation as of tomorrow. But I may check in here from time to time. As always, thanks for reading.