FORT MYERS, Fla. — A few impressions from today’s activities at the player development complex:
• Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Luis Exposito, Ryan Lavarnay and Tim Federowicz are all here and spent some time on the field with catching instructor Gary Tuck. There is a lot of young catching talent in this organization and obviously getting here early can only help players trying to make an impression.
Obviously we’ll have plenty of stories about Salty over the course of the spring. But it was noticeable that he was the first player on the field and that he made it a point to catch Jon Lester.
The guy is 6-foot-4, 230 pounds. He switch hits, hits for power and has a strong arm. Physically, he has everything you could ask for in a catcher. But that has been the case since he was drafted. Is this the year he starts to fulfill that vast potential? The commitment Saltalamacchia showed this winter would seem to indicate that is certainly possible.
• Spent a little time chatting with Andrew Miller, the tall lefty who is so intriguing, More to come on that later on this afternoon.
• It was good to see guys like Daniel Nava, Ryan Kalish, Robert Coello and Felix Doubront. All made their major league debuts last season and those kind of stories are fun to cover.
• Adrian Gonzalez will be here tomorrow. He had been working out and rehabbing at Petco Park in San Diego. But the Padres trainers headed to Arizona, so Gonzo is on his way here. Carl Crawford will be in around Feb. 16.
• I’ll be on NESN Hot Stove tonight, doing an interview with Tom Caron. So check that out later.