FORT MYERS, Fla. — It was a quiet day in camp today. The pitchers and catchers took their physicals and did some physical testing inside. A few guys came outside to play catch but that was pretty much it.
But here are a few notes for you:
• Terry Francona said that Mike Cameron feels great after recovery from groin surgery. The manager said you can expect to see Cameron in right field fairly often, especially against lefty pitchers.
• Jose Iglesias arrived a few days early. His father was cleared to leave Cuba and will soon be in Florida. He is in Mexico for the moment. “It’s going to be nice to have him around,” Iglesias said. Iglesias, 21, has been in the US for 18 months and is still adjusting to life here. Having his father around should be a great assistance.
• The Red Sox are getting some bites on RHP Robert Coello, who was designated for assignment last week. It is likely that he will be traded, probably in the next day or two.
• John Lackey said he dropped 10 pounds by doing an hour of cardio workouts on the days he worked out. He did 20 minutes on three different machines. “I watched a lot of SportsCenter,” he said.
Lackey looks like he lost more than 10 pounds. He played it off, but clearly there was a sense of purpose in the effort given his sub-standard 2010 season.
• Francona on Dan Wheeler: “Veteran guy who can throw an inning or multiple (innings), doesn’t shy away from big innings and he’s been through the American League East with Tampa and all that brings. Standup guy, great teammate. I think we’re really excited.”
• The Sox have cut out the 300-yard shuttle run out of their preseason testing regimen.
• There will be a meeting tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. and then the team will take the field. If you’re heading to the complex to watch, remember that you have to park at City of Palms Park and take the shuttle bus over. There is no parking at the complex.
Back with more later on.