FORT MYERS, Fla. — A few notes from camp today …
- Terry Francona was named to the National College Baseball Hall of Fame. He played for Arizona from 1978-80 and was named the national player of the year in 1980.
Francona spent parts of 10 seasons in the majors and hit .274 after being a first-round pick of the Expos in 1980.
- Dustin Pedroia was excused from tomorrow’s workout to attend to a family matter. Jonathan Papelbon was back today (and threw BP) after missing yesterday’s practice for the same reason.
- The team has a meeting with MLB umpires tomorrow morning.
- Joe McDonald, who does a great job at ESPNBoston.com, reports that Ryan Westmoreland has started taking on-field BP and will be in Boston tomorrow for a check-up with his neurologist. Ryan is in minor-league camp.
- Daisuke Matsuzaka threw 38 pitches in his first BP session. It’s hard to tell from the side, but he appeared to have trouble throwing strikes. That’s not unusual for this time of the year. Or for Matsuzaka.
Matsuzaka told Japanese reporters that he felt fine physically and was working on the command of his slider.
The start of Week 2 of spring training brings with it a new photo gallery for you featuring today’s top shots. The video above is some analysis of today’s top story lines.