Pregame notes from Rogers Centre

TORONTO — A few items of interest, starting with Dustin Pedroia.

The second baseman was not only alert for his knee scope yesterday, he watched it on a television.

Pedroia revealed that he had an MRI on Monday that showed cartilage damage. But the procedure he had on Thursday done by Dr. Tom Gill showed that it was more of a bruise beneath his kneecap.

“It’s weird because I got one opinion and the other opinion was different,” Pedroia said. “The safest thing was to go in there and let Dr. Gill see it. I saw it, too. It was kind of a cool thing. He had a camera in there. I got to see what the deal was.


“It’s been bugging me for a while. As long as I can continue to play and just deal with it, it’s good I guess.”

The Sox will play their next six games on turf. But there appear to be no set plans in terms of giving Pedroia any days off.

“We’ve talked about that,” he said. “We talked about that at the beginning of the year with my [left] foot, too. You guys know how that goes. I like playing; I like being out there. If I’m hurting, I’ll go in there. I’ll be smart and go tell Tito [Francona].”

Pedroia said there was a “little piece” of cartilage out of place but not enough to have surgery now or after the season.

“I don’t think so,” Pedroia said. “They didn’t really discuss that. The biggest thing was to make sure that I’m OK right now and he said I am. So I play.”

Pedroia was asked how the sore knee has affected his hitting.

“I’ve been driving the ball, just in the middle of the field,” he said. “That’s the part that’s been tough instead of pulling it or hitting the ball to right center. That will change.”


Days off, Pedroia said, do not necessarily help.

“I actually feel better when I don’t have a day off. I don’t know if I get some blood flowing or stuff like that,” he said. “That’s why I don’t really like taking days off.”

Pedroia watched the game last night from his place in Boston and flew to Toronto this morning. “The seventh inning was pretty awesome,” he said. “I was getting pretty excited.”

As to other stuff:

• Jarrod Saltalamacchia looked like a guy who had just spent three days in Vegas and lost all his money. He spent most of the day in the hospital in New York on Wednesday getting intravenous treatments and painkillers. Doctors ruled out appendicitis. It could have been food poisoning or some sort of stomach infection.

“Now it’s working its way around to my throat and ears,” he said.

Salty said it was “by far the worse” he has ever been sick in his life.

“I still feel bad. But good enough to play,” he said. “I definitely feel good enough to go out there and play.”

Saltalamacchia was impressed with how well Jason Varitek handled Tim Wakefield against the Yankees on Wednesday. That onerous task usually falls to Saltalamacchia.

“It was a mental break for him, he didn’t think of what pitch he had to put down,” Saltalamacchia said. “I told him, ‘I owe you a steak dinner.’ ”

• Rich Hill texted Francona after getting Tommy John surgery yesterday. He’s doing well. Daisuke Matsuzaka is scheduled for his surgery today.


• Wakefield, by the way, will stay in the rotation and pitch at Tampa on Tuesday.

• The Sox arrived at their hotel here around 6:20 a.m. Clay Buchholz intended to travel ahead of the team so he could get a full night of sleep. But when his flight was delayed, he traveled with the team.

Loading Comments...