MINNEAPOLIS — The news and notes directly from the office of Terry Francona:
• With Youkilis out, Francona shifted Pedroia into the cleanup spot and moved Carl Crawford up to second with the understanding he would be going back to sixth tomorrow.
• The Sox arrived at their hotel here just shy of 5 a.m. today. They will not take batting practice on the field this afternoon.
• Bobby Jenks had to be hospitalized over the weekend for an intestinal issue and did not report to Fort Myers today. It’s uncertain when he will be back on a throwing program.
• J.D. Drew will take some soft toss in the cage today. Francona suggested that Drew would need a minor league rehab assignment before he returns.
• Ryan Kalish is back in the Pawtucket lineup today. The Red Sox also promoted RHP Junichi Tazawa up to Triple A. Both of those guys are on the 40-man roster and are therefore candidates for a September call-up.
• Francona said he wouldn’t blame MLB for sending the Red Sox a letter regarding Josh Beckett‘s slow pace last night. It was apparently a top of discussion on ESPN. MLB has the power to fine Beckett (and Francona, for that matter) for not pitching in a timely fashion.
Francona said Beckett was deliberate mainly because he was tired on a hot night.