KANSAS CITY — A few notes from the clubhouse . . .
• Adrian Gonzalez shaved off his mustache and goatee. He said he is not superstitious, he just was tired of trimming it. As for his slump, he said his timing is off and that his neck feels fine. Gonzalez feels it’s a matter of getting at-bats and finding little things he can build on.
• Marco Scutaro is expected back tomorrow.
• David Ortiz is feeling better. But when I asked about the idea of playing in Texas, he said he wasn’t sure.
• Bobby Jenks (remember him?) is throwing down in Fort Myers and is scheduled for a simulated game in the next few days.
• Terry Francona said the Sox are discussing when to send J.D. Drew out on a rehab assignment. For now, he’ll continue to take batting practice. It sure looks like they’re waiting for Sept. 1.
• Josh Beckett’s 10/5 rights clicked in today. That means he has been in the league for 10 years, five with the same team, and has the right to refuse any trade.