The latest on the Red Sox managerial front:
• Sandy Alomar Jr. has been eliminated.
• Gene Lamont will meet with ownership later this week. Presumably that would be Tuesday or Wednesday.
• Bobby Valentine, who interviewed today, has already met with ownership to a degree where he would probably not have to do that again.
• Ben Cherington admitted this would go on beyond Thanksgiving but is hopeful of having a manager before the Winter Meetings start Dec. 5.
• Valentine — and more to come from him later on — made it clear that he wants the job and that he welcomes input from the front office (meaning statistical analysis) because he wants it to a “growth experience” for him.
• Cherington called Valentine a “intelligent, passionate baseball man” but said their research was continuing.
• Also, Craig Shipley has been removed from his post as vice president of player personnel and international scouting after three years.