MINNEAPOLIS — A few notes from the clubhouse for you:
• Jacoby Ellsbury has better range of motion in his shoulder according to Bobby Valentine. Ellsbury is with the team on the road trip and is now wearing a brace instead of a sling.
• Lars Anderson feels like he’s comfortable in left field, saying that his is goal is to make all the routine plays and not play any doubles into triples by diving at the ball. Anderson hasn’t really been challenged in left, Valentine was told.
Valentine didn’t sound too enamored with the idea of starting Anderson in left. But if he uses him as pinch hitter, he would be OK playing him out there if needed.
• Carl Crawford was 0 for 3 as the DH in an extended spring training game.
• Daisuke Matsuzaka is cleared for 80 pitches in his start for Single-A Salem tonight.
• Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez were engaged in a fierce “Words With Friends” battle while waiting for batting practice to start. Gonzo won the game but admitted that Pedroia leads their season series.