The Red Sox have placed yet another player on the disabled list.
It’s Clay Buchholz, who is gone for 15 days with what is being described as a gastrointestinal illness. Buchholz has been admitted to a hospital.
GM Ben Cherington said that the issue, while enough to merit a stay on the DL, is not serious and that Buchholz should be fine.
“We’re hoping that we’ll get him back at the end of the 15 days,” Bobby Valentine said. “He did check into a hospital. … He hasn’t been here now for two days.”
This marks the third consecutive season Buchholz had been placed on the disabled list in June. He had a back issue in 2011 and missed the remainder of the season. In 2010, Buchholz strained a hamstring running the bases and missed 23 days.
The Red Sox rotation is certainly in flux with Buchholz joining Josh Beckett on the disabled list. Beckett is eligible to come off the DL on Wednesday.
“From what I’ve heard, he went from not throwing for a while and feeling like he hadn’t thrown for a while and then feeling really good,” Valentine said. “I’m hoping he’s moving forward, feeling good.”
Valentine said the Sox are looking at where Beckett best fits into the rotation.
“Hopefully it coincides right with when his 15 days are up. But we won’t rush it if, in fact, he needs another day or two,” Valentine said.
With Bob McClure away from the team for several weeks attending to an illness in his family, assistant pitching coach Randy Niemann has been working with Valentine. McClure returned today.
“It’s a work in progress, let’s say,” Valentine said about the rotation. “We’ll get Bob in that loop and see if he has any other ideas.”
Here’s a look at what has changed:
The rotation in April
The rotation at the moment