A few notes for you:
• Jacoby Ellsbury is out of the lineup with an injury that Bobby Valentine was apparently told not to disclose. “He has a little situation that we’re making sure it’s nothing more than a little situation,” Valentine said. “He really shouldn’t of played yesterday.”
Indications are that Ellsbury has a sore lat muscle.
• The Sox called up RHP Zach Stewart, RHP Pedro Beato and INF Danny Valencia. Stewart is being lined up to start against the Orioles on Sept. 30.
OF Che-Hsuan Lin was not called up, which seems a little odd given that the Red Sox actually lack healthy outfielders and Lin is a terrific defensive player.
• Daisuke Matsuzaka’s next start is being skipped. But Valentine said he would be making one more start before the season is over. That should help the Sox get a higher draft pick.
• Valentine tried to give Dustin Pedroia a day off. But he showed up at Fenway at 1 p.m. and had talked his way into the lineup an hour later.
• The Orioles activated DH Jim Thome and LHP Troy Patton off the disabled list.
• Former Red Sox first base coach Ron Johnson, who was fired last season, is with the Orioles. He was their Triple A manager this season.
• The Sox added Triple A manager Arnie Beyeler and pitching coach Rich Sauveur to the coaching staff.
“It gets a little crowded in that coaches’ room,” Valentine said. “I even offered my office if anybody wanted to dress there. But you know what the coaches think of me.”
• Best to Guy Spina, one of the Fenway Park press box attendants. He is retiring after 38 years with the organization.
• Fans attending Saturday’s game can line up on the warning track from 11:20 a.m. to noon to get photos with the players. … Kids attending the game on Sunday can run the bases after the game. … The Johnny Pesky tribute will be on Sunday at 6 p.m. after the game. It will be open to fans for free.