FORT MYERS, Fla. — A couple of quick notes for you:
• Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who hasn’t played since Wednesday, isn’t in the lineup again today. He said he has a stiff lower back. “I want to play. I think they’re just being careful,” he said. “I went through way worse last year.”
• Outfield prospect Alex Hassan got some good news. An MRI on his fractured left foot was positive and he has been cleared to start hitting and running again. He took a few swings off a tee on Friday.
• Xander Bogaerts is playing for Netherlands in the WBC this morning, batting sixth and playing third base. He made a nice play on a line drive and helped the Dutch score a run with a sacrifice bunt. At the moment, the Netherlands is up, 4-0, in the seventh inning.
• Dustin Pedroia was pretty excited this morning. His wife and two sons are flying in from Arizona. “Best day ever my hot wife and awesome boys get here!!!!! Life is good,” he tweeted at 6:47 a.m.
UPDATE, 9:57 a.m.: A few more updates via John Farrell:
• David Ortiz will run the bases today, something he apparently did earlier in the week, too. The plan is for him to get into a game late next week.
• Johnny Gomes (laceration on his left knee) remains day-to-day. Farrell said that he is complaining about not playing.
• LHP Franklin Morales has a stiff back and will be skipped on Monday, which was his next turn.
• Daniel Bard is throwing a side today and will get in Monday’s game, too. He has been working on some mechanical issues for a few days.
• RHP Pedro Beato is dealing with some shoulder soreness.
• Something to file away: Farrell says he likes safety squeezes in 1st and 3rd situations if the pitcher has good numbers against the batter.
• Shane Victorino (0 for 9) asked to play today and get a few at-bats. He is the only player in the lineup who played last night.