FORT MYERS, Fla. — The great Carl Michael Yastrzemski has arrived at Red Sox camp and was on the field to watch the major leaguers take batting practice. At one point he was flanked by Luis Tiant and Jim Rice.
Yaz is 73. Don’t know about you, but that is hard to believe.
As to the news:
• David Ortiz will not work out on the field today. He is scheduled for a fairly rigorous base-running drill Thursday.
John Farrell said Ortiz wants 50 plate appearances this spring. That could be accomplished in MLB games and minor league games. In the minor league setting, Ortiz could bat every inning just to work on his timing.
• Jacoby Ellsbury is still out with the dreaded internal distress. Mark Hamilton also has the same affliction.
• RHP Pedro Beato (shoulder) will throw in the bullpen today.
• Alfredo Aceves and Oscar Villareal each pitched a scoreless inning for Mexico in a game against the Diamondbacks Tuesday night. Shane Victorino was 0 for 3 against the White Sox.
Farrell said Mexico plans to use Aceves a multi-inning reliever.
• The Red Sox planned to stretch LHP Franklin Morales out this spring. Now that he’s dealing with back pain, the goal is just to get him back on the mound and throwing again. This could turn into a DL stint to start the season, it seems.