FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts is headed back to camp after being away since Feb. 24 for the World Baseball Classic.
The 20-year-old will report to major league camp and spend at least a few more days with the Red Sox.
“He’ll remain in camp here for the time being just to get him back … and see him on the field,” manager John Farrell said.
Farrell said Bogaerts will play shortstop and possibly some third base. But the time at third base would be just to get Bogaerts some at-bats, he said.
“Make no mistake, still in our eyes he’s a shortstop,” Farrell said. “We’ll get him a few more at-bats here before he begins his regular season.”
Bogaerts played mostly third base for the Netherlands in the WBC. He was 5 of 19 in the tournament with two doubles and one RBI in seven games. He did not play in the semifinal loss against the Dominican Republic on Monday.
Bogaerts was 4 for 6 with a double and two RBIs in a pair of exhibition games with the Dutch team.
“I think that the experience had with the WBC, I think is all positive,” Farrell said. “Would we have liked more at-bats? Sure. But I think that the fact that he played in that environment and on that stage outweighs maybe a few less at-bats he might have otherwise had here.
“All that being said, we’re happy for the experience that he went through.”
• OF Mitch Maier had an MRI on his left wrist and has what is being described as a “severe sprain.” He is out for at least a week. Maier was injured making a diving catch on Friday.
• Pedro Martinez is back in camp today.
• The Sox are sending only a handful of big leaguers to Tampa to face the Yankees on Wednesday. Along with pitchers Felix Doubront, Andrew Miller and Andrew Bailey, David Ross, Jose Iglesias, Jackie Bradley Jr., Daniel Nava and Ryan Sweeney will make the trip.
• The Sox will likely make another series of cuts on Wednesday.
• The Red Sox are hosting a visit from 6-foot-5 Keaton McKinney, a high school junior from Iowa who is one of the best prospects in his class. He is a righthanded pitcher and corner infielder.