The Red Sox placed outfielder Daniel Nava on paternity leave and replaced him with righthander Brandon Workman.
Nava went to California to be with his wife, Rachel. She had a baby girl this morning they named Faith. Nava will return to the team in Kansas City on Thursday.
With Steven Wright coming out of the bullpen to start Tuesday, the Red Sox needed another reliever. Workman’s last three appearances were as a starter, but he will go to the bullpen with the recent addition of Jake Peavy.
• RHP Clay Buchholz will throw in the bullpen on Tuesday, to a degree as yet determined. It would be his first time on the mound since July 17.
• Catcher David Ross will be in Pittsburgh Thursday to be checked out by Dr. Michael Collins, a concussion specialist. If cleared, Ross could start a rehab assignment over the weekend.
• LHP Matt Thornton, who left Sunday’s game with a sore oblique, was in the trainer’s room at noon getting treatment. He is not on the disabled list and hopes to avoid it.
• LHP Franklin Morales is scheduled for two innings for Pawtucket on Tuesday. That could change if Thornton goes on the DL.
• LHP Drake Britton, who grew in nearby Tomball, Texas, played several games at Minute Maid Park while in high school. “Hit my first home run here sophomore year,” he said. “Right into the bullpen.” He is expecting 40-50 family and friends at the game today.