Red Sox manager John Farrell threw a bit of a changeup today, starting David Ross at catcher instead of Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
Lester threw seven strong innings against the Tigers at Fenway Park on Sept. 3 with Ross behind the plate. Lester held the Tigers to two runs on eight hits with no walks and nine strikeouts.
Ross also is 1 for 4 against Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez.
“That was definitely factored in,” Farrell said. “There’s some familiarity with Sanchez even though Sanchez is tougher on righties. The depth of our roster and the depth of our players has been a main contributor to our success this year and we look to take advantage of that as best we can.
“The game in early September with Jon and David pairing up, that was one of the primary reasons.”
• Game 4 starter Jake Peavy is available in relief tonight. Farrell said Peavy would only be used in certain circumstances and would not be used instead of Junichi Tazawa or even Brandon Workman.
“It would have to be a specific situation,” Farrell said.
• The Sox will face Cy Young Award favorite Max Scherzer in Game 2 on Sunday night. Some lineup changes could be made as a result.
Mike Napoli is 1 for 13 with five strikeouts against Scherzer and hasn’t faced him since 2012. Daniel Nava is 1 for 9 against Scherzer, 0 for 6 this season.
If the Sox make a chance, Mike Carp would play first base and Jonny Gomes left field. Carp is 2 for 8 with a walk against Scherzer and Gomes 2 for 6.
Carp and Gomes started against Scherzer on Sept. 3. Gomes was 2 for 4 and scored a run in a 2-1 victory. Carp was 0 for 3 and struck out twice.
• Xander Bogaerts is taking groundballs at third base this afternoon. That could be a sign he will start there on Sunday
• When the Red Sox scouted Jose Iglesias, they saw pretty much the same hitter they had. He’ll attack early in the count if he gets a chance and will look to pull the ball. He’s also inclined to bunt to for a hit.
• It’s 57 degrees and foggy at Fenway Park as 5 p.m. approaches. It’s going to be a chilly night at the ballpark.