Dominating effort by the Patriots tonight. The run defense was solid, with the Packers gaining just 86 yards on 29 carries (2.96 avg.).
Five players who helped themselves tonight:
* James Sanders — rookie safety picks off a second-half pass, and more importantly was on the opening-game kickoff return team. It’s a sign he’s very much in the team’s plans this year, perhaps leaping over second-year safety Guss Scott.
* Benjamin Watson — tight end showed the versatility that makes him a tough matchup, as a blocker and pass catcher.
* Asante Samuel — another game, another interception, he’s a sure-fire opening day starter at cornerback.
* Ellis Hobbs — rookie showed flash again as a kickoff returner, opening the game with a 43-yard return and setting the tone.
* Chad Scott — with Duane Starks sidelined, veteran cornerback played a lot in the first half and held up well.
Three players whose performance didn’t stand out:
* Cedric Cobbs — running back fumbles in the rain in the fourth quarter.
* David Terrell — receiver was wide open along the sideline when he dropped a pass from quarterback Doug Flutie.
* Don Davis — linebacker was called for defensive holding, which negated an interception.
We’ll wrap things up in a bit.