After two days off and a walkthrough this morning, the Patriots were back in full pads this afternoon.
* On the positive side, Mike Wright and Jonathan Wilhite returned to practice for the first time in several days.
* Ron Brace, Terrence Johnson, and Torry Holt were on the field in shorts, with Brace and Johnson being put through their paces by the strength and conditioning staff, while Holt watched the offense. This was the first practice Holt has missed.
* Not spotted were: Matthew Slater, Leigh Bodden, Bret Lockett, Gary Guyton, Nick Kaczur, and Ty Warren.
* It was not a great day for defensive backs in one-on-one work with the receivers. Darius Butler got beat by Randy Moss a couple of times, and Moss put a great move on Kyle Arrington; Julian Edelman and Wes Welker beat Wilhite.
* The highlight of the practice came during linebackers versus tight ends and running backs. Thomas Williams and Aaron Hernandez got tangled up and Williams rolled over Hernandez; Hernandez got up and fired the ball at Williams’s back.
* Tom Brady did the barrel game by himself today, aiming from 20 yards away. With the barrel in the left corner of the end zone, he put a pass inside the big blue receptacle; with the barrel in the right corner, he hit the barrel once in five or six tries.
* Butler redeemed himself in seven-on-seven work, picking off a Brian Hoyer pass intended for Hernandez, and the second-year corner also batted down a pass for Moss in the back of the end zone during red-zone work.
* Brady spent several minutes chatting with owner Robert Kraft before heading off the field; rookie Zac Robinson carried Brady’s pads back into the locker room.