MOBILE, Ala. – Some thoughts on the South practice from Day 2 at the Senior Bowl:
Since the Patriots need pass rushers at the OLB position, I would keep an eye on Arizona
- DE Brooks Reed (6-2 ½, 257). Not quite as tall at New England likes but he was nearly unblockable today and is quite strong. The Bills’ coaching staff had him standing up and he looked like he can be a force. Still not sure if he’s a 3-4 guy.
- TCU WR Jeremy Kerley only goes 5-9 and 188, but he’s a very polished receiver. Don’t think he has breakaway speed but we’ll know more at the combine.
- Florida OT Marcus Gilbert (6-6 1/2, 329) was much improved on Day 2 and looks like a solid right tackle. Don’t think he can play the left side.
- Mississippi State OT Derek Sherrod (6-5 ½, 312) was a little bit of a disappointment today although he had his moments at LT.
- Baylor OL Danny Watkins (6-3 ½, 312) has a little bit of nasty to him on the inside.
- Miami DL Allen Bailey (6-3, 278) is a physical freak but the jury is still out on whether he can play.
- Clemson DL Jarvis Jenkins (6-4, 309) is somebody to watch. He’s got some great initial quickness and power but kind of fades. The right line coach could really turn him into something. He’d fit the bill as a 3-4 DE who can also provide pass rush in sub packages.
- I know some people want to project Texas A&M LB Von Miller (6-2 ½, 237) but I don’t see it, at least not in the Patriots’ scheme where the OLB has to hold up and beat tight ends and tackles. He was easily handled today.
- Florida DB Ahmad Black (5-9 ½, 183) plays with great instincts but it’s hard to say where he will play. He’s almost too small for safety, and he doesn’t appear quick enough for corner. Combine will be important for him.
- Overall, I wasn’t impressed with the talent on the South squad, which is usually the strongest at Senior Bowls. Seems like the North has most of the big-time talent this season.
Ski season updates, free from The Boston Globe.
Get the Globe's free newsletter, It's All Downhill, for the latest from the slopes.