Good morning. Here is your PDB for Friday, Aug. 5, 2011. It contains all the links, info, analysis and occasional humor that you’ll need to go about your day. If you can’t detect sarcasm or take yourself and/or football too seriously, this may not be your thing.
WHAT’S ON TAP
– 1:30-4 p.m., Practice.
– 1:30-4 p.m., Practice
TOP OF THE NEWS
– The Patriots have given former Dolphins LB Channing Crowder a physical, according to ESPN’s John Clayton.
The Patriots gave former Dolphins LB Channing Crowder a physical Thursday. It is too early to tell if they will make him an offer.
– Logan Mankins set the record straight on his relationship with Robert Kraft — “I never said he lied” — and said “There’s always a chance” a long-term deal can be worked out.
All of Mankins’ words were music to Patriots’ fans ears. There’s no reason, short of agent Frank Bauer demanding Mankins be the highest paid guard in the league, why a sensible new contract that helps both the player and the team can’t be worked out by Sept. 20 (the deadline to do so).
– The Patriots continued their parade of veteran defensive free agents, not wanted by their old teams, by working out Jets lineman Shaun Ellis.
Like we said in this space yesterday, if the Jets are only going to offer him one year at the minimum, the Patriots should definitely get in on that action. Ellis terrorized them last season in the first matchup, and in the playoff game. And in the middle game, the Patriots doubled Ellis most of the time.
– In case you missed it last night, the practice report was posted.
Yeah, Chad Ochocinco dropped a lot of passes, Albert Haynesworth seemed to go through the motions and the offense line still struggled. But it’s camp. There are ups and downs. If things continue for several days, then you get a little worried. We’re not close to that yet. Nor do I think it will get to that point. Work in progress after a lockout.
I absolutely find it hilarious when coaches or players who hated the media and went out of their way to make their job harder, then take a job in said media because they need the work……Mangini and Tom Jackson on the same network. Don’t think we’ll see Bill Belichick wearing an ESPN hoodie anytime soon.
– Chris Gasper and I talk about Mankins and the change in tone in Training Camp Today.
– Bob Ryan and Dan Shaughnessy debate which rivalry, Patriots-Jets or Red Sox-Yankees, is currently more intense.
– Good read here on the Patriots from the venerable Jason Cole of Yahoo!Sports.
AROUND THE DIVISION
Here’s the tally so far:
PATRIOTS—Additions: WR Chad Ochocinco (trade), DE Albert Haynesworth (trade), DL Steve Williams, OL Jonathan Compas, OL Chris Morris. Re-signings: LT Matt Light, LG Logan Mankins, RB Sammy Morris, RB Kevin Faulk, LB Tracy White, S Brandon McGowan. Subtractions: OLB Tully Banta-Cain, DB Tony Carter, DL Marcus Stroud, DL Ty Warren, TE Alge Crumpler, OL Nick Kaczur, LB Anthony Leonard, LB Ryan Coulson, QB Jonathan Crompton.
JETS—Additions: WR Plaxico Burress, P Chris Bryan (Bucs), CB Donald Strickland (Chargers). Re-signings: CB Antonio Cromartie, WR Santonio Holmes, RT Wayne Hunter, S Eric Smith, K Nick Folk, T Robert Turner, QB Mark Brunell, S Brodney Pool. Subtractions: WR Brad Smith (Bills), OL Damien Woody (retirement), CB Will Billingsley (waivers), G Marlon Davis (waivers), P Steve Weatherford (Giants), CB Drew Coleman (Jaguars), OLB Jason Taylor (Dolphins), WR Jerricho Cotchery.
DOLPHINS: Additions: RB Reggie Bush (trade with Saints), LB Jason Trusnik (Browns), QB Matt Moore (Panthers), LB Kevin Burnett (Chargers), DL Ronald Fields (Broncos), LB Jason Taylor (Jets), OT Marc Colombo (Cowboys). Re-signings: DL Tony McDaniel. Subtractions: QB Tyler Thigpen (Bills), LB Channing Crowder, LB Tim Dobbins.
BILLS: Additions: QB Tyler Thigpen (Dolphins), WR Brad Smith (Jets), DL Lionel Dotson (Dolphins), LB Nick Barnett (Packers), WR Buster Davis (Chargers). Re-signings: CB Drayton Florence, LB Garrison Sanborn, TE Scott Chandler. Subtractions: LB Paul Posluszny (Jaguars), S Donte Whitner (49ers).
– Plaxico Burress turned his ankle in his first practice. “We’re going to the Super Bowllllll!!!!!! Wait, what? You mean he’s old?”
– I still don’t understand letting WR Jerricho Cotchery go.
– Cotchery was yet another good guy the Jets let go.
– Kind of speechless about this:
“We do feel like we have a perfect team.
“As strong of a team as you can get.
Who said that? Not Rex Ryan or Darrelle Revis….guard Matt Slauson. Slauson.
– Jeff Darlington breaks down what happened in the Kyle Orton trade that wasn’t.
– DE Kendall Langford is eyeing an extension.
– Some fans chanted “We want Henne.”