Good morning. Here is your PDB for Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2011. It contains all the links, info, analysis and occasional humor that you’ll need to go about your day. If you can’t detect sarcasm or take yourself and/or football too seriously, this may not be your thing.
WHAT’S ON TAP
– 10-11:15 a.m.: Walkthrough practice.
– 7:30 p.m., Exhibition vs. Jacksonville Jaguars at Gillette Stadium
– TE Rob Gronkowski is back at practice this morning. Surprising that WR Chad Ochocinco is not. UPDATE: Ochocinco came on late.
– Don’t expect to see many if any injured players on Thursday night against the Jaguars.
– Ochocinco is homeless after training camp, so if you have a basement with internet and XBox…
– DT Gerard Warren is back again. Think he’s in the top 10 for “People who look scary, but really aren’t.” Very smart and affable. Another great locker room guy the Patriots have around.
– Chris Gasper and I talk about what to expect from Tom Brady and Ochocinco.
– It wasn’t a very competitive practice on Tuesday, but we picked up a few tidbits.
– The Patriots will dedicate the season to Myra Kraft.
AROUND THE DIVISION
Here’s the tally so far:
PATRIOTS—Additions: WR Chad Ochocinco (trade), DE Albert Haynesworth (trade), DL Steve Williams, OL Jonathan Compas, OL Chris Morris, DE Mark Anderson (Texans), DL Shaun Ellis (Jets), DE Andre Carter (Redskins), OL Mark Wetterer (Bengals). Re-signings: LT Matt Light, LG Logan Mankins, RB Sammy Morris, RB Kevin Faulk, LB Tracy White, DT Gerard Warren. Subtractions: OLB Tully Banta-Cain, DB Tony Carter, DL Marcus Stroud, DL Ty Warren, TE Alge Crumpler, OL Nick Kaczur, LB Anthony Leonard, LB Ryan Coulson, QB Jonathan Crompton, RB Thomas Clayton, DE Marlon Favorite, S Brandon McGowan, S Jarrad Page, CB Thad Turner, S Ross Ventrone.
JETS—Additions: WR Plaxico Burress, P Chris Bryan (Bucs), CB Donald Strickland (Chargers), WR Derrick Mason, DE Cody Brown (Lions), TE Keith Zinger (Falcons). Re-signings: CB Antonio Cromartie, WR Santonio Holmes, RT Wayne Hunter, S Eric Smith, K Nick Folk, T Robert Turner, QB Mark Brunell, S Brodney Pool, LB David Herron. Subtractions: WR Brad Smith (Bills), OL Damien Woody (retirement), CB Will Billingsley (waivers), G Marlon Davis (waivers), P Steve Weatherford (Giants), CB Drew Coleman (Jaguars), OLB Jason Taylor (Dolphins), WR Jerricho Cotchery, DL Shaun Ellis (Patriots), WR Braylon Edwards (49ers).
DOLPHINS: Additions: RB Reggie Bush (trade with Saints), LB Jason Trusnik (Browns), QB Matt Moore (Panthers), LB Kevin Burnett (Chargers), DL Ronald Fields (Broncos), LB Jason Taylor (Jets), OT Marc Colombo (Cowboys), OL Ray Willis (Seahawks), QB Kevin O’Connell. Re-signings: DL Tony McDaniel. Subtractions: QB Tyler Thigpen (Bills), LB Channing Crowder (retirement), LB Tim Dobbins.
BILLS: Additions: QB Tyler Thigpen (Dolphins), WR Brad Smith (Jets), DL Lionel Dotson (Dolphins), LB Nick Barnett (Packers), WR Buster Davis (Chargers). Re-signings: CB Drayton Florence, LB Garrison Sanborn, TE Scott Chandler, RB Bruce Hall. Subtractions: LB Paul Posluszny (Jaguars), S Donte Whitner (49ers).
– Darrelle Revis is mentoring CB Kyle Wilson, who flopped as a rookie. Very talented kid.
– Revis said he thinks the Jets “got the upper side” on the Patriots last year. Uh….. What is this, the Jeffersons?
– Someday there will be actual proof Plaxico Burress plays for the Jets. We haven’t seen it yet.
– So Shaun Ellis and his Jets’ replacement, Muhammad Wilkerson, are both missing practice with hip injuries.
– Miami is looking for some chemistry at linebacker.
– Happy trails, Channing Crowder. The book is now officially closed on Nick Saban, the NFL coach. Not one of the players he drafted as Dolphins coach is left on the team. And Ronnie Brown and Crowder were the most productive, by far.
– Benny Sapp and Will Allen are battling for final CB spot.
– CB Terrence McGee has one interception since signing a new contract two years ago.
– The Bills want WR Lee Evans to be a little bit more diversified. There are rumors that Evans is on the trading block. Yes, if I’m the Patriots, I’m getting in on that bidding, or at least check it out. He would bring a legit vertical threat.
– Very sad news from the Redskins where Stephen Bowen revealed his wife had given birth to twins four months early. One has survived to this point. As someone whose twins were born nine weeks early and in the NICU for a month, my heart goes out to them.
– Peter King shares a little slice of what makes Green Bay, Wis. a special place this time of year. If you love football, you have to take a trip to one of these smaller places where it’s a destination training camp. The intimacy is incredible and the passion for football is unrivaled. Steelers, Packers, Eagles, Panthers and Ravens all have top spots.