FOXBOROUGH – A quickie look at the top news from the Patriots’ joint practice with the Saints. We’ll be back with much more later.
Reserve/did not report: RG Brian Waters.
Exempt/left team: FB Tony Fiammetta.
Physically unable to perform: LG Logan Mankins (knee), RT Sebastian Vollmer (back), OT Markus Zusevics (unknown), TE Daniel Fells (shoulder), TE Jake Ballard (knee), DT Myron Pryor (shoulder).
Out: CB Alfonzo Dennard (hamstring), LB Tracy White (unknown), TE Visanthe Shiancoe (unknown), DT Jonathan Fanene (unknown), FB Spencer Larsen (unknown), OT Matt Kopa (leg), DT Ron Brace (unknown), OT Darrion Weems (precautionary), OT Kyle Hix (right shoulder), LB Brandon Spikes (unknown).
Not participating fully:: WR Deion Branch (no team drills).
Returned to practice: S Derrick Martin, WR Jeremy Ebert, LB Dane Fletcher, S James Ihedigbo.
C/G Ryan Wendell appeared to have something going on for a stretch but he did return to action.
OT Dustin Waldron limped off at the end of practice.
Other than that, we didn’t notice anything.
- It was not a good practice overall for the Patriots.
- Both offenses were strong in WR/CB one-on-ones and in 7-on-7, but once the practice went to full team drills, the Saints really dominated.
- The Patriots’ offensive line got roughed up by the Saints in one-on-ones and team drills. As a result, QB Tom Brady’s performance was not good to finish practice. He threw an interception to end a two-minute drills on the second play and was not happy.
- Pretty much the same groupings for the Patriots. With Spikes out, Dont’a Hightower was at MLB and Bobby Carpenter at SLB.
- This was probably a good reality check for the Patriots. I’m sure Bill Belichick will have plenty of teaching opportunities from this and will relish that.
We’ll be back with much, more later.