It’s been a pretty quiet week as the lead-up to Patriots-Jets usually goes, with very little of the trash-talking and rhetoric (admittedly usually coming from Florham Park and not Foxborough) which usually accompany their matchups.
But a report this morning from ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio has probably changed all of that.
According to Paolantonio, the Jets have contacted the NFL about the Patriots’ no-huddle offense because of concerns that they will not be able to substitute defensive players while the Patriots are in no-huddle and want to make sure game officials properly follow substitution rules.
“We have already talked to the league office and Rex (Ryan) will be in the ref’s ear about this all game,” a member of the Jets’ coaching staff told Paolantonio Saturday night.
Further, a Jets senior official told Paolantonio, the Jets will emphasize the point during the usual pregame meeting with game officials, as they always do.
By rule, the defense is allowed to substitute players if the offense makes a substitution, and the Jets believe that the rule was not consistently enforced during the Patriots-Broncos game two weeks ago, which affected Denver.
On Friday, Rex Ryan addressed the issue, saying, “Sometimes when they substitute, you’re supposed to be allowed to substitute with them. We’ll see about that, but they move at such a quick pace that you have to be alert, and if you have to sub, you have to make your substitution extremely quick.
“What they do is super-quick. Still, the rules are (that) you have to be set a full count. They’re set a full count, but you have to know it’s a count and here it comes. It certainly is a challenge… After the game, I’ll be able to tell you more. The fact they’re playing at home, I think (you will) see more of that no-huddle than perhaps you (would) on the road.”
Earlier in the week, linebacker Calvin Pace told ESPNNewYork.com that the Patriots’ no-huddle is “borderline illegal.” However, Pace added that he believes it is a smart tactic and that he wished his own team would do it.