Here are a few of the guidelines that teams must adhere to with the new three-day negotiating period this weekend:
- Period starts at midnight on Saturday and ends at 3:59 p.m. on Tuesday. So, it’s actually about
8887 hours long (with daylight savings time begins this weekend);
- Teams can only contact the agents and enter into negotiations. No contracts can be executed until free agency starts at 4 p.m. on Tuesday;
- Teams can’t meet with players (other than the player’s current club) in any location, and there can be no direct contact between the player and another team;
- Players who don’t have an agent, such as Ravens safety Ed Reed, can’t be contacted by another team;
- No visits can be lined up until free agency starts at 4 p.m. Tuesday;
- The three-day window only applies to potential unrestricted free agents. It excludes restricted free agents and franchise players.
Ski season updates, free from The Boston Globe.
Get the Globe's free newsletter, It's All Downhill, for the latest from the slopes.