It was announced late Tuesday night that Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker has been suspended by the NFL for four games for violating the NFL’s PED policy. The suspension will begin Week 1 of the NFL season.
The Denver Post is reporting Welker said he had no knowledge of taking any drug at any time. The Post also wrote that a source close to the situation said Welker tested positive for Adderall.
The news was first reported earlier in yesterday by multiple media sources, including ESPN’s Adam Schefter and NFL Network’s Albert Breer, who also reported that the failed test was due to amphetamines.
Pro Football Talk reported that Welker took Molly cut with amphetamines at the Kentucky Derby in May, resulting in the failed drug test.
In the Denver Post updated article today, Welker is vehemently denying any knowledge of taking any drug, including Molly, or any substance to gain a competitive advantage.
“I wouldn’t have any idea where to get a Molly or what a Molly is,” he told the Denver Post. “That’s a joke. I don’t do marijuana, I don’t do drugs. I don’t do any drugs.”
In an e-mail to the Post, he wrote:
I’m as shocked as everyone at todays news.
I want to make one thing abundantly clear: I would NEVER knowingly take a substance to gain a competitive advantage in any way. Anyone who has ever played a down with me, lifted a weight with me, even eaten a meal with me, knows that I focus purely on what I put in my body and on the hard work I put in year round to perform at the highest levels year-in and year-out.
I want any youth football players and all sports fans to know, there are NO shortcuts to success, and nothing but hard work and studying, leads to success.
I have never been concerned with the leagues performance enhancing or drug abuse policies because under no scenario would they ever apply to me, but I now know, that (drug-policy procedures) are clearly flawed, and I will do everything in my power to ensure they are corrected, so other individuals and teams aren’t negatively affected so rashly like this.
I have worked my whole life to be the best that I can be, and I have encountered many obstacles over my career, and THIS WILL BE NO DIFFERENT!
Thank you for the outpouring of support, and I want Bronco nation to know, that no one and no thing will get in the way of our goal as a team, to bring Mr. Bowlen the trophy he and this great region deserve.
In his first season with Denver last year, the former Patriot recorded 73 catches for 778 yards and 10 touchdowns. He suffered a concussion in the Broncos’ Aug. 23 preseason game against the Texans and has slowly returned to football activity.
Welker suited up for the Patriots from 2007-12, playing 94 games and hauling in 672 catches for 7,459 yards and 37 touchdowns. He was named to the Pro Bowl in all but one of his six seasons in Foxborough.
After becoming a free agent following the Patriots’ AFC Championship loss to the Ravens in January 2013, Welker notoriously signed a two-year, $12 million contract with the Broncos after being snubbed by Bill Belichick and the Patriots, who reportedly offered Tom Brady’s favorite receiver no more than $10 million over two seasons.
Welker will miss Denver’s opening game at home against the Colts, as well as a Super Bowl XLVIII rematch with the Seahawks sandwiched by home contests against the Chiefs and the Cardinals.