Texans (0-0) at Patriots (0-0)
Sunday, 1p.m. ET, CBS
Opening Line – Patriots by 6 1/2
Record vs. spread – Texans 7-9, Patriots 12-7
Series record – Patriots lead 9-1
Last meeting – Patriots beat Texans 36-33, Sept. 24, 2017
AP Pro32 ranking – Texans No. 12, Patriots No. 2
Texans offense — Overall (20), Rush (14), Pass (21).
Texans defense — Overall (20), Rush (13), Pass (24).
Patriots offense — Overall (1), Rush (10), Pass (2).
Patriots defense — Overall (29), Rush (20), Pass (30).
Streaks, stats and notes
- The two teams are facing off for fourth straight year in regular season.
- Head coach Bill O’Brien was a New England assistant from 2007-11. He is 0-3 against his former team.
- Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson set franchise rookie records with 19 touchdown passes and 103 QB rating last season before tearing his right ACL in November.
- Watson had 19 touchdown passes in seven games, most in NFL history by rookie in first seven games.
- He passed for 301 yards and two touchdowns in last year’s loss to New England.
- Defensive end J.J. Watt has 76 career sacks, second most in NFL since entering league in 2011.
- Watt has appeared in just eight games in last two seasons after suffering herniated disc in 2016 and fracturing left tibia last season.
- Defensive end Jadeveon Clowney had career-high 9 1/2 sacks and ranked second in NFL with 21 tackles for loss last season. In three career meetings with Patriots, Clowney has four sacks, six tackles for loss and forced fumble.
- Linebacker Whitney Mercilus has 3 1/2 sacks in past five meetings. He played in only five games in 2017 before tearing his pectoral in October.
- Linebacker Benardrick McKinney led team with 95 tackles in 2017.
- Wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins led NFL with career-high and franchise-record 13 touchdown receptions in 2017.
- Hopkins needs one reception to extend streak to 80 consecutive games with reception to start his career.
- Wide receiver Will Fuller V had career-high seven touchdown catches in 2017.
- Texans are one of four teams Patriots own undefeated regular-season home record (4-0) against.
- Patriots have won last five regular-season meetings and are 4-0 at home vs. Texans.
- Quarterback Tom Brady, now 41, passed for 378 yards and five touchdowns in last meeting. He has 1,371 passing yards, 13 touchdowns and interceptions in past four meetings.
- Tight end Rob Gronkowski led NFL tight ends with 1,084 receiving yards in 2017. He has three touchdown catches in four career meetings with Texans.
- Safety Devin McCourty led team with career-high 94 tackles last season.
- Defensive end Adrian Clayborn had career-high 9 1/2 sacks with Falcons last season as was signed as free agent.
- Linebacker Kyle Van Noy had career-high 11 tackles in last meeting with Texans.
Brady owns 8-1 record against Texans, passing for 22 touchdowns and 2,565 yards (regular season and playoffs).