During Sunday’s AFC Championship game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman seemed to know exactly what to say to fire up quarterback Tom Brady.
After Brady connected with receiver Phillip Dorsett for a 29-yard touchdown to give New England a 14-0 lead heading into halftime, Edelman applauded his teammate for throwing a “nice f****** ball” before kicking things up a notch.
“You’re too f****** old,” he screamed in Brady’s face. “You’re too old!”
Get yourself a hype man like @Edelman11❗
— Inside the NFL (@insidetheNFL) January 22, 2019
Despite the Patriots’ two-possession lead, Edelman knew the advantage wasn’t necessarily safe.
“It’s ain’t over,” he shouted, as the team jogged into the locker room at the half. “Let’s keep it going.”
Here are other mic’d moments from the game, as captured by Showtime’s latest episode of “Inside the NFL”:
- After Sony Michel capped New England’s opening 15-play, 80-yard drive with a touchdown, Edelman turned to the bench and yelled, “Hey, keep the gas on it now!” Upon sitting down, he acknowledged, “I don’t even know what I just said.”
- The Patriots limited Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill to just one catch on three targets during the first half, which prompted safety Devin McCourty to engage in a little trash talk: “You don’t like this D? You should love this defense. This is probably the best defense ever. You got to love this one.”
- At the beginning of the second half, Chiefs wide receiver Sammy Watkins told his teammates, “Our quarter. Our half. Our half.”
- As Chiefs wide receiver Gehrig Dieter ran Edelman’s muffed fourth-quarter punt into the end zone, Edelman insisted he didn’t touch the ball. While the play was being reviewed, he turned to one the referees and said, “Did you see it? It jumped right over me, bro.” When the call was overturned, allowing New England to maintain possession, Chiefs coach Andy Reid yelled at the ref, “How could you overturn that?”
- With the Chiefs up 28-24 and less than a minute to go, safety Jordan Lucas seemed to think Kansas City had the game locked up when cornerback Charvarius Ward intercepted Brady on 3rd-and-10. “Good game,” Lucas told Edelman on the field before patting him on the shoulder. “Good game, bro. Hey, I respect you. I respect you.” The interception, however, was nullified due to an offsides penalty by Chiefs linebacker Dee Ford. “Was I?” an incredulous Ford asked the bench.
- As Harrison Butker is lining up for a 39-yard field goal to tie things up at the end of regulation, Edelman did his best to encourage a miss by yelling, “Hey, wide right! Wide left!”
- While the Patriots were making their way down the field during overtime, a Chiefs player sitting on the bench begged, “Please let something crazy happen. Please let something crazy happen.” When New England made it to the two-yard line, he covered his face with his hood and said, “I’m not looking.”
- After Patriots running back Rex Burkhead scored on the first drive in overtime, Edelman embraced Gronkowski on the field and told him, “I’m so proud of you, bro. I love you.”