The NFL trade deadline is Tuesday at 4 p.m.
Here are the latest updates:
Tuesday, October 29
- The Patriots are cutting kicker Mike Nugent, according to Sports Illustrated‘s Albert Breer.
- The Patriots are among the teams that have shown the most interest in Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert, according to The Athletic‘s Jeff Howe.
- During a conference call Tuesday morning, coach Bill Belichick acknowledged the constraints of the Patriots’ cap room: “We wouldn’t have enough cap space right now to just go out and acquire any player.” Belichick also noted the team cannot use all of its available room at the deadline because some must be available for moves in the second half of the season.
Belichick also points out the Patriots have to keep some cushion because it would be “unrealistic” to think they won’t add additional salary cap charges in some shape or form over the rest of the season
— Nora Princiotti (@NoraPrinciotti) October 29, 2019
Monday, October 28
- NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported the Washington Redskins are “open to dealing” left tackle Trent Williams, who was first linked to the Patriots during training camp. Williams, disgruntled over Washington’s medical staff, has not yet played in a game this season.
- Jay Glazer of FOX Sports said the Patriots are “still in the market” for a receiver, even after they traded for Sanu.
— FOX Sports: NFL (@NFLonFOX) October 28, 2019
- Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported tight ends Tyler Eifert (Cincinnati Bengals) and O.J. Howard (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) are “players that appeal to the Patriots.” La Canfora also reported that some general managers believe coach Bill Belichick will pursue Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green. He also floated out the possibility that the team could re-acquire offensive tackle Nate Solder from the New York Giants.
Sunday, October 27
- Former Patriots coaching assistant Michael Lombardi said Sunday the team was “not involved in any deals” because of its limited cap space. The team has $2.8 million in room.
I would never say never, but the Pats are not involved in any deals right now, as they are limited in cap room. The trade of Bennett was essentially for Sanu, in terms of cap room.
— Michael Lombardi (@mlombardiNFL) October 27, 2019