The Patriots’ team plane was sent by the Kraft family in coordination with Gov. Charlie Baker and others to China, and will return with 1.2 million N95 masks to help with the current shortage.
And the Patriots also shared a video message from Bill Belichick on Wednesday. Belichick offered encouragement, telling fans “let’s keep stringing good days together.”
Why the Colts opted for Philip Rivers over Tom Brady: One of the possible suitors for Tom Brady when NFL free agency began in March was rumored to be the Colts. However, Indianapolis ultimately decided to sign another veteran quarterback instead.
According to NFL insider Ian Rapoport, the Colts targeted and eventually signed Philip Rivers instead of Brady despite “extensive scouting” of the 42-year-old former Patriot.
“[Colts coach] Frank Reich talked about the things he loved about Brady,” Rapoport said on NFL Network. “He thought the tape really was phenomenal, and obviously Brady is one of the all-time greats, that goes without saying.”
“They believed that Philip Rivers was a better fit for them in part because of the familiarity he has with offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni, with Frank Reich himself, with Jason Michael the tight ends coach” Rapoport continued. “That was one factor.”
Added to that were the financial constrictions.
“Another factor is Tom Brady signed a two-year, fully guaranteed deal with the Bucs,” Rapoport explained. “Doesn’t seem like the Colts were willing to go there.”
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 1, 2020
Trivia: The last shortened MLB season was in 1995. The Red Sox won the American League East behind a powerful lineup. Can you name the three Red Sox players who hit more than 20 home runs that season?
(Answer at the bottom).
Hint: One was the the American League MVP, one was a former MVP, and the third played his entire career in Boston except for his final season in 2002 (when he played for the Mets).
More from Boston.com:
- The Patriots’ team plane is delivering more than a million masks from China to Massachusetts
- Bill Belichick’s message for surviving coronavirus: ‘Let’s keep stringing good days together’
- What we miss about Opening Day at Fenway Park
- Patriots release quarterback Cody Kessler
- NFLPA describes change in CBA language as not ‘substantive’
- Sports Q: What is your all-time favorite Boston sports team from a single season?
- Simone Biles on 2021 Olympics: ‘Nothing is set in stone’
- PawSox ballpark construction project in Worcester is halted
- Antonio Brown, Lamar Jackson working out together
- After a serious health scare, David Andrews is ‘ready to get back’ to the Patriots
- The rest of the AFC East is hoping to capitalize on Tom Brady’s departure
- Julian Edelman is hosting a virtual workout class
The No. 12 jersey in Buccaneers history:
Antonio Brown trained with Lamar Jackson and his cousin, Hollywood Brown: He caught a 50-yard touchdown from the NFL MVP during their workout.
We Activated 🔋 pic.twitter.com/MtnGXKcPwv
— Hollywood Brown (@Primetime_jet) April 1, 2020
On this day: In 1995, the University of Connecticut’s women’s basketball team won their first national championship, defeating Tennessee 70-64 to complete a perfect season.
Daily highlight: This closest thing we have to highlights at the moment, via The Checkdown.
Trivia answer: Mo Vaughn, Jose Canseco, John Valentin.