Over the past week, New England skiers and snowboarders were asked to make their voices heard in a bracket filled with the region’s top ski areas. The goal was to see which winter destination readers considered the “best.”
As was expected, the results produced a wide variety of choices. A few takeaways:
- A total of 164,613 votes were cast in the bracket.
- Every ski area in the bracket was picked to win at least 10 times.
- Wachusett ranked highest among Massachusetts resorts, garnering 1,576 total votes.
- While Maine and Vermont monopolized the top five, Cannon Mountain ranked as New Hampshire’s top entry, receiving 8,169 total votes.
The overall top spots belonged to:
1. Killington, Vermont: Receiving the most first place votes, as well as the most overall votes (13,101), New England’s biggest ski area was declared its best.
2. Sunday River, Maine: The Maine resort fell just 15 shy of Killington in total championship votes.
3. Stowe, Vermont: One of the region’s oldest resorts clearly showed it still has broad appeal.
4. Sugarloaf, Maine: Sugarloaf finished only six championship votes behind Stowe.
5. Mad River Glen, Vermont: Even while probably collecting zero votes from snowboarders, Mad River’s unique style helped vault the Vermont spot into the top five.