Tom Brady

Here’s how readers across the country spent Super Bowl Sunday—and who they wanted to win

The quarterback was at the top of everybody's minds.

Related Links

Even as their former quarterback left for a new life elsewhere — elsewhere being Tampa Bay, Fla. — many New Englanders still rooted for their old flame, Tom Brady, as he went on to win a seventh ring, and at age 43, break his own record for the oldest player to win the Super Bowl.

It turns out, more people in Boston watched the game between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Kansas City Chiefs than in the Tampa Bay-St. Petersburg area, according to CBS ratings.

Before the game, we asked readers how they’d spend Super Bowl Sunday and who they would root for. The answer may not surprise you.


It was technically neither the Bucs nor the Chiefs that drew the most support from those who voted, but Tom Brady himself.

71% said they were cheering on Team Tom, while 18% said “Let’s go, Bucs” for a total of 89% cumulative support for the former Patriot’s new team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

5% said they were rooting for the Kansas City Chiefs. The same amount of respondents were above answering the question, and chose not to name a team to support. As for the actual day, Super Bowl Sunday was more low-key this year. A majority of folks said they stayed home to watch the game with their immediate household, wanting to be safe and distanced from others during an ongoing pandemic. The absence of larger parties did not seem to quell the need for tasty game day snacks either, as many mentioned picking off savory plates during the game as they normally would. What’s interesting is that many of the readers who wrote in to voice their support of Brady, also seemed to be New England expats themselves, having left after growing up around the region.

Here’s a roundup of how fans spent Super Bowl Sunday

Responses were lightly edited for length and clarity.


“I’ll be watching the Super Bowl alone. That’s OK with me. I’m 77 yrs old and retired. I was one of those rabid Patriots fans, but when Tom Brady left, I discovered I am a loyal Tom Brady fan. I still root for the PATS…..what’s left of them….but I will always follow Tom Brady’s career and cheer for the team he plays for. “GO BUCS.” My family members turned on Brady when he left the Patriots, therefore I won’t watching the Super Bowl with them. They’ll be cheering for the Chiefs.” — Una Connors in Brunswick, Maine

“At home with family rooting for Brady, Gronk and the Bucs. Wishing it were the Patriots.” — Clark in Cape Coral, FL., originally from Walpole


“Became a Brady fan during the last minute of his first Super Bowl with John Madden saying the Pats should wait for overtime and Brady driving his team down the field for a Vinatieri field goal. Spent most of my summers on Cape Cod or Wayne, ME., so it’s easy to root New England but I’m really a Brady fan. Will be at home with wife.” — Jim in Forked River, NJ

“Not having a family Super Bowl party at my home for the first time in 20-plus years!” — Ed in Mansfield, MA, who also voted for Team Tom Brady


“Watching in the middle of the night from my the location of my work assignment. Expect the game to create the tension to keep me awake!” — Anita, formerly of Salem

“I live 3 blocks from the Pro Football HOF. I’m rooting for the Chiefs at home all alone as I always do for Super Bowl, but especially want to because of the pandemic. I’ll cook up something original and scrumptious, put my head in a good groove, and relax with no interruptions.” — Robert

“Same thing I’ve been doing for 11 months…..isolating!” — Greg in Sudbury

“I will be surrounded by family, eating, screaming and enjoying the day!!”


“Party for two plus dog named Brady. ” — Brian in Bridgewater

“At home. FaceTime with friends and family. Still making fun drinks and snacks.” — Roz in Barnstable

“Got $20 riding on Brady. No office square due to Covid,” wrote in a reader who won $20.

“Watching with one other friend, outside for social distancing, and hoping it doesn’t rain!”  — Wes B. in Portland, Ore.

“The first time in 52 years, I will be watching at home, alone.” — wrote Janice, a reader in Aguadilla, PR, originally from North Providence, RI

“I’ll be on a sailboat docked at a marina in Key West drinking some adult beverages and lounging with a couple of buddies. I have been blessed with the Moderna vaccine, so with that and masking up along with maintaining social distance, I look forward to rooting for Tom Brady and Gronk to win the big game. Should be a blast.” — Chuck, in Miami Beach, Fla., who grew up in Nashua and Cambridge

Advertisement: occasionally interacts with readers by conducting informal polls and surveys. These results should be read as an unscientific gauge of readers’ opinion.

Get's browser alerts:

Enable breaking news notifications straight to your internet browser.

Jump To Comments


This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on