Eleven children were transported to the hospital today after the brakes started smoking on their school bus, officials said.
Police and fire companies received a call at 3:25 p.m. that a school bus was suffering an engine malfunction, said Boston Fire spokesman Steve MacDonald. The children were taken to the hospital as a precaution.
The incident occurred at 874 Dorchester Ave. in Dorchester.
The school bus is owned by the Boston Public Schools, said Matt Wilder, a school system spokesman. The bus was operated by the First Student school bus transportation service, which is contracted by the city, Wilder said.