Wayland community pool closed after accidental mixing of chemicals

The Wayland Community pool was closed Monday after an employee mistakenly mixed two chemicals together, creating a hazardous situation, according to the Wayland Fire Department.

The employee mixed muriatic acid with chlorine, which created a vapor cloud and fumes in the building, said Wayland Fire Department Captain Robert Dorey.

Firefighters arrived at the scene to evacuate the building.

“There was nobody swimming, just a couple of employees in the building,’’ setting up before the pool opened at 9 a.m., said Dorey.

The employee who mixed the chemicals initially refused treatment, but was later driven by a family member to a local hospital, where he was treated and released, according to Dorey. None of the other employees were injured, either, he said.

Advertisement

The pool was closed for the day as the state hazardous materials team dealt with the clean-up, but the pool will be open Monday, said Dorey.

Loading Comments...