Investigation under way after man dies in Lynn police shooting

A Lynn man was shot and killed by police after the car he was driving allegedly rammed a police vehicle Sunday night, officials said.

Brandon Payne was shot by police.

The incident that led to the death of Brandon Payne began about 9:30 p.m., Lynn police said. Essex County prosecutors said Payne was among two groups of men who, police believed, were making an “exchange’’ of a “long-barreled firearm.’’

The two groups left the area in two cars, and when police tried to stop them on Ingalls Sreet at Chatham Street in Lynn, the car driven by Payne allegedly rammed a police car, authorities aid.

Fearing for their safety, prosecutors said, three Lynn officers and a state trooper fired at Payne.


Payne was struck twice, and transported to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he died at 5:35 a.m. today.

Officers recovered a loaded .357-caliber revolver from Payne’s vehicle and a loaded 9mm pistol and a loaded shotgun from the second car.

Three other men were taken into custody. Sincere Lawson, 23, of East Orange, N.J.; and Khyron Jolley, 28, and James Finley, 34, both of Lynn, were arraigned today in Lynn District Court on charges of assault with a dangerous weapon and illegal possession of a firearm, prosecutors said. Judge James LaMothe set $10,000 bail cash for Finley and $15,000 for Jolley. He also revoked Jolley’s bail on pending charges in Quincy. Lawson is to appear in court again Tuesday for a bail hearing.

A fifth suspect was not apprehended.

“The legal justifiability of the police involved shooting is being investigated by the Essex District Attorney’s Office as per protocol,’’ District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett’s office said in the statement.

Prosecutors said the officers and trooper have been placed on administrative leave with pay, while the investigation is underway.

Payne had a long criminal record, with dozens of offenses listed dating back to 1999. Most of the charges were dismissed, including an attempted murder charge in May 2010. He was committed to the custody of the Department of Youth Services in 2002 for assault and battery.

But those who knew him described him as a young man who was trying to change his life.

About a dozen friends and family gathered this morning outside the home of O.C. Payne, Brandon’s father. Standing by the curb in a gray Colorado Rockies T-shirt, the father said he was still waiting to hear a full explanation from police of the circumstances leading to his son’s death “It’s just hard to see my son go,’’ he said. “Don’t make no sense.’’


As she sat nearby in a plastic chair, Latisha Payne, Brandon Payne’s younger sister, brushed away tears, recalling her last interaction with him.

“His last words to me were, ‘I love you. I love you, little sis,’’’ she said.

In addition to being a protective brother, Brandon was a loving father of his three young children, said Latisha, 20.

“He was trying to get his life back together,’’ she said. “Trying to do good.’’

Late last night, about 30 family members rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital to see Brandon Payne, who was breathing through a respirator, his father said.

Payne’s brother, 22-year-old Oliver Taylor, described Payne as utterly devoted to his relatives.

“He would drop anything he was doing just for family,’’ Taylor said.

In addition to working as a cashier, Payne, who grew up in Lynn, was an aspiring rapper who recorded under the name Gully, his father said.

Job Doc
An ATS - friend or foe?
March 11, 2019 | 12:40 PM
Job Doc
Making music instrumental
January 11, 2019 | 2:12 PM