NoPrimaryTagMatch

Two Somerville families homeless after electrical fire heavily damages their two-family home

Five people are homeless after a fire ripped through a two-family condominium in Somerville Monday night, said Fire Chief Kevin Kelleher.

Firefighters responded to the two-alarm blaze at 9:42 p.m. and discovered that the accidental electrical fire had started in the first floor bathroom of the Irvington Road residence, Kelleher said.

“The fire was knocked down in about thirty minutes,’’ he said.

There were functioning smoke detectors in the building, and everyone got out safely.

One firefighter suffered a minor leg injury, he said.

Kelleher estimated the damage to the home at $250,000 to $300,000.

“The house is uninhabitable,’’ he said. “There’s smoke and water throughout.’’

Advertisement:

One family is staying with friends and the other is being assisted by the American Red Cross, Kelleher said.