BU freshman dies after he was found unconscious in Allston apartment

Anthony Barksdale II.
ANTHONY BARKSDALE 2d –Boston University Handout vai The Boston Globe

A Boston University freshman died early this morning shortly after being found unconscious around midnight in an Allston apartment, authorities said.

BU identified him as Anthony Barksdale 2d, 19, an engineering student who graduated in 2012 from Souhegan High School in Amherst, N.H.

He was found at 22 Wadsworth St. after Boston police received a call about an unconscious man at that address at 11:58 p.m., said Officer James Kenneally, Boston police spokesman.

Barksdale was taken to St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center in Brighton, where he was pronounced dead three hours later, according to a statement posted on BU Today, a university website.


The cause of death was not released, but campus police said there was no indication of foul play, according to the website.

“We’re just heartbroken,’’ BU spokesman Colin Riley said in a phone interview. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.’’

Riley was unable to say who lived at the Wadsworth Street address or why Barksdale was there.

Barksdale was a resident of the Towers dormitory at 140 Bay State Road and a member of the Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity, according to BU.

At the Towers tonight, students remembered Barksdale as a warm and affectionate young man with an ever-present sense of humor.

“He was always a great guy,’’ said Christian Walls, 19. “He liked telling jokes, pranking people. It’s a loss for tons of people that knew Tony, and he’ll be sorely missed.’’

The apartment where Barksdale was found is in a row of six weathered two-story stucco town houses at the end of Wadsworth Street.

Tanya Washburn, 41, who lives next door to the apartment, said she does not know much about her neighbors, but they appear to be college-aged men. She has asked them to turn down music a few times and they have always cooperated, she said.


Washburn said she thought they had a party at the town house Friday night, but it was not particularly loud. She said they did not throw parties frequently.

Boston police officer Chris Long stood sentry outside the front door to the darkened residence this evening.

Long said he and his partner were guarding the front and rear entrances.

“No one in, and no one out,’’ Long said he was told by his supervisor.

He said when his shift began at 4 p.m., the apartment was empty, but he could not say if the residents had been asked to leave by police or chose to stay away.

In the BU Today posting, Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore said the death was sad news for the campus community.

“Whenever there is a death of one of our own it affects all of us,’’ Elmore said. “Our entire community is deeply saddened. I hope that students will look out for each other. I hope they will use the resources that are available here, and I hope they reach out to friends, parents, and loved ones.’’

Counselors were made available at the Franklin Lounge in the Towers this evening.