Improper cigarette disposal leads to fire that destroys Tyngsborough home

The aftermath of the Long Pond Road fire
The aftermath of the Long Pond Road fire –Deputy Police Chief Richard D. Howe

An improperly disposed cigarette caused a three-alarm fire that destroyed a Tyngsborough home early this morning, Tyngsborough police said.

Tyngsborough police and firefighters responded to a call for a fire at 10 Long Pond Road at 2:06 a.m., police said. The right side of the two-family home was burning intensely when police and firefighters first arrived, and it took nearly two hours to bring the fire under control.

The fire was knocked down around 5:15 a.m.. By 6:30 a.m., all fire units had cleared the scene, police said.

One of the three residents was treated by EMTs for shortness of breath and nausea, police said. No other injuries were reported. The American Red Cross was also on the scene, assisting the residents.

The two-family home was extensively damaged, and is now uninhabitable, police said.


Loading Comments...