Victim’s sister hopes that media attention will help solve case that has embroiled New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez

The sister of the Dorchester man found slain in North Attleborough on Monday says she hopes that authorities will get a boost in catching the killer because of the media attention focused on Odin L. Lloyd’s acquaintance, New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez.

“We’re glad this involves such a big celebrity,’’ Olivia Thibow told reporters. “At least we know something will happen from it.’’

Thibow; Lloyd’s mother, Ursula Ward; and other relatives spoke briefly outside their Fayston Street home after they had spent part of the day arranging funeral services for the 27-year-old Lloyd.

Lloyd’s body was discovered in an industrial park near Hernandez’s house in North Attleborough, and Hernandez has become embroiled in the investigation. Law enforcement officials told the Globe Thursday that they have obtained video that appears to show Hernandez and Lloyd on Fayston Street on Monday, just hours before Lloyd was killed.


After spending much of today at the Prudential Center in Boston, where his lawyers have their offices, Hernandez returned to his home at about 4:40 p.m. He alighted from a white Audi SUV driven by his attorney, Michael Fee, and looked at the three dozen cameramen and reporters who have staked out the house before going inside. A third man arrived in a BMW convertible.

Fee and the third man left in the BMW just before 5 p.m.

Back on Fayston Street, Lloyd’s uncle, who would identify himself only by the first name of Ed, said the connection to a professional athlete was not important to him — seeing someone prosecuted for killing his nephew is.

“I don’t care who he is, or what he has, if it is him,’’ Ed said about Hernandez. “I just want justice.’’

Bristol District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter Jr.’s office, which is overseeing the homicide investigation, said this afternoon the search for Lloyd’s killer was continuing. Spokeswoman Yasmina Serdarevic declined futher comment.

Hernandez was last seen publicly Thursday afternoon when he drove from the Patriots compound in Foxborough to the Prudential Center, a journey that was chronicled by television news choppers who followed him from the air.


The Globe has learned that Hernandez spent Thursday night at the Sheraton Hotel connected to the Prudential.

Hernandez was seen today at the Prudential wearing the same outfit he had on the day before, a black sweatshirt with the slogan “Athletes First’’ and a black ski cap that read “Muscle Milk.’’

The company that makes “Muscle Milk’’ announced today that it had ended its relationship with Hernandez about 11 months after he was signed to an endorsement contract.

“In light of the investigation involving Aaron Hernandez, CytoSport is terminating its endorsement contract with Mr. Hernandez, effective immediately,’’ the company said in a statement.

Some media outlets reported today that an arrest warrant had been obtained for Hernandez charging him with obstruction of justice. But a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation said no one has been arrested and no warrants have been obtained.

“There are no arrest warrants issued,’’ said the official. “For anyone.’’

Sources told the Globe Thursday that Lloyd was shot multiple times at the North Attleborough scene. Criminal cases, including homicide cases, from the town of North Attleborough are generally heard in Attleboro District Court. Clerk Magistrate Mark Sturdy said today that neither State Police nor North Attleborough police have sought or obtained a warrant for Hernandez.

Sturdy said three search warrants had been obtained by police investigating the killing of Lloyd, but he added that police have not yet filed the paperwork reporting what, if anything, they seized.

Odin L. Lloyd (Lloyd Family)

The search warrant documents are sealed. Sturdy would not say what locations police were authorized to search under the warrants. Police have at least seven days after the search is conducted to file what is known as the search warrant “return’’ with the court.


This afternoon, reporters standing across the street from Hernandez’s house watched as a white car with the Connecticut license plates, HERNDZ, emerged from the garage and drove away. Two women were sitting in the front seat, and a third person wearing a hooded sweatshirt and sunglasses obscuring his or her face sat in the rear seat.

Around noon, two state troopers walked up to the front door and, after knocking, were let inside by a woman. The troopers stayed for a few minutes and then left without speaking to reporters.

In Hernandez’s hometown of Bristol, Conn., relatives and friends declined to talk about the professional athlete, especially since there has been only limited information from public officials overseeing the inquiry.

“Until someone tells me for sure that he did anything involved with this, I’m holding out hope that all is — and will — end well’’ for him, said one friend, who asked not to be named.

Attempts to reach various members of Hernandez’s family were unsuccessful. The driveway in front of the cream and forest-green suburban home at the Bristol address listed for Hernandez’s mother sat empty Friday. While the front lawn appeared freshly cut, no one answered the door and the day’s edition of the Hartford Courant — which splashed the latest on the murder investigation across the front page — sat in the dropoff box.

Neighbors in the quiet suburban neighborhood refused to discuss the case.

“They’re back outside in the driveway,’’ a woman sitting on the porch next door said loudly into her cellphone when a local television crew arrived in an attempt to interview Hernandez’s mother.

When the reporters approached to ask her about the family, she slammed the front door in their faces.

Investigators have not declared Hernandez a suspect, though police moved swiftly to speak to him after Lloyd’s body was found. State Police searched Hernandez’s home on Tuesday. On Wednesday and Thursday they scoured the site where Lloyd was found dead, looking for shell casings, said two officials.

Hernandez’s attorney, Michael Fee, could not be reached for comment today. But earlier this week, Fee said in a statement that no comment would be made until the criminal investigation is completed.

Lloyd’s family also spoke this morning to reporters outside their home in Dorchester.

Marsha Martin, one of Lloyd’s cousins, said they continue to hope that the person responsible for Lloyd’s death will be brought to justice. “If you know something, say something,’’ she said. “We don’t want Odin to have died in vain. We hope for justice, even though it won’t bring him back, it won’t make him present at his sister’s wedding, it won’t make him walk through the kitchen door.’’

“My son is my best friend, my only boy, my first-born,’’ said Ursula Ward, Lloyd’s mother. “Let me grieve my baby in peace.’’

Loading Comments...